In this guide, we’ll Learn About How to Deleting Unused Sources from RootsMagic family tree. RootsMagic is a comprehensive genealogy software that allows you to meticulously organize your family tree, research, and sources. As your family history research progresses, you may accumulate a variety of sources that become outdated or irrelevant. Deleting unused sources is a crucial step in keeping your research tidy and manageable.
Why Delete Unused Sources?
A cluttered family tree can make it difficult to navigate and find the information you need. Deleting unused sources offers several benefits:
- Simplify Navigation: Removing unused sources makes it easier to locate and manage relevant information in your family tree.
- Accuracy: With fewer sources to sift through, you’re less likely to mistakenly attach the wrong source to an individual.
- Improved Performance: A streamlined family tree can lead to improved software performance, especially when dealing with large databases.
- Focus on Quality: By eliminating irrelevant sources, you can focus on maintaining accurate and high-quality research.
Step-by-Step Guide to Remove Source
Follow these steps to efficiently remove unused sources from your RootsMagic family tree:
Step 1: Open Your Family Tree in RootsMagic
Launch the RootsMagic software and open the family tree database you wish to work on. Ensure that you have backed up your data before making any changes.
Step 2: Access the Sources List
In RootsMagic, navigate to the “Lists” menu at the top of the screen and select “Sources List.” This will display a list of all sources in your family tree.
Step 3: Review Existing Sources
Scan through the list of sources to identify those that you no longer need. Look for sources that are duplicates, irrelevant, or outdated. Make a note of the sources you plan to delete.
Step 4: Edit Source Citations
Before deleting a source, ensure that it’s not attached to any individuals, events, or facts. To do this:
- Double-click on a source to open its details.
- Go through the citations tab and review where the source is used.
- If you find any, detach the source from those citations by selecting “Edit Citation” and choosing a different source or removing it altogether.
Step 5: Delete Unused Sources
Once you’ve detached the source from all relevant citations, you can proceed to delete the source:
- Right-click on the unused source in the Sources List.
- Select “Delete” or “Remove” (the wording may vary based on the version).
- Confirm the deletion when prompted.
Step 6: Review and Repeat
After deleting the sources, take a final look through your Sources List to ensure you’ve removed all the unused ones. This step ensures that you’ve successfully decluttered your family tree from unnecessary sources.
Step 7: Update Citations (Optional)
If you’ve deleted a source that was linked to multiple citations, you may need to update those citations with new, relevant sources. This step is important to maintain accurate records.
A well-organized family tree is key to effective genealogical research, and RootsMagic offers you the tools to achieve just that. By regularly deleting unused sources, you can maintain a tidy database that’s easier to navigate and manage. Remember to always make a backup of your data before making any significant changes to ensure you can revert if needed.
With this step-by-step guide, you can confidently remove outdated and irrelevant sources from your RootsMagic family tree, focusing your research on quality information and making your genealogy journey more enjoyable and efficient. If you need any help call our RootsMagic support number +1-888-257-3335 or you can Live Chat with our Experts.